Tuesday 27 March 2012

My first Basketball game shoot

If you're going to shoot a basketball game, your first in fact, then why not make it a biggie?  The Harlem Globetrotters came to the Sheffield Motorpoint Arena on Friday 23rd March and I was able to get press accreditaton for it as a freelancer.  Good job no-one was paying me for the pictures as I was not at my best......(or as Scott Kelby said of his first basketball shoot - "...I sucked...").

The lighting was ok for watching the game as a spectator, but even the EIS (notorious among sports photographers) lets you use 1/1000th at 4000ISO (not ideal, but ok).  For the Globetrotters I was at 1/640th at 6400ISO and hoping that the noise wasn't going to be too bad.  Needless to say the D700 did a fab job and it was just down to me, trying to get the angles while not blocking anyone's view and failing hopelessly to really follow the action as those guys whip it round the court so fast in one of their trade-mark "now-you-see-it-now-you-don't" moves.
Great night, great show.  Check out their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment