Wednesday 14 March 2012

The Moon's A Balloon (or 'Put a Diffusion Dome on your flash...')

As David Niven noted in his marvellous book "The Moon's A Balloon", there is an old proverb that says when the soft breezes blow and the sun is warmest on your back, the breezes are planting the seeds of weeds into your garden.
I thought I was having a pretty good time of it recently - photo sales up, being published in several places, page views up.....but then the weeds started to blow in: I've left my umbrella box somewhere (who knows where..??), the zip bust on my camera bag, my home-made flash grid gave up the ghost (good excuse to sit down with the black straws and glue again), and then I discovered that it helps to have the diffusion dome on your flash if it decides to bungee jump from your light stand.  The diffusion dome broke but it did at least break the fall of the SB-900 which mostly still works but has had to be shipped off for repair (I'd normally leave it but it is the only flash that fits my ring-flash so needs to be working, particularly as it is now discontinued).  So, that money which should be dribbling in from invoices and which was pencilled in for nice things has now been spent, and more, on weeding.....oh, the joy of photography =:~)

No comments:

Post a Comment