Saturday 18 August 2018

Greg Rutherford says farewell...to his British fans*


British long-jumping legend and Olympic, World, European and Commonwealth champion, Greg Rutherford was denied a dream farewell to the sport during his final year of competition; having to settle for a second round effort of 7.43m as his best mark in the long jump competition of the Muller Grand prix at the Diamond League Meeting at the Alexander Stadium Birmingham today.

Rutherford said: “I am incredibly lucky to have is an opportunity to come out in the stadiums one last time to wave to the crowds, sign lots of autographs and meet lots of people because that’s part of what I think as an athlete you should do. You should give back when you can and that is what I am using this time to do.

Greg Rutherford on his way to 7.43m in the second round of jumps

“I wanted to turn this into my farewell tour and I just want to have a chance to go one more time in the big British meets and try and enjoy it and actually see it from a different sort of standing point.”

* - Greg is scheduled to compete one last time at the Newcastle Great City Games in early September

No comments:

Post a Comment