Thursday 10 December 2015

Greg Rutherford back in for BBC Sports Personality 2015

Olympic, world, European and Commonwealth long jump gold medallist Greg Rutherford has confirmed that he will be at this year's BBC Sports Personality event in Belfast on 20th December.

He recently said that he was pulling out because of comments made by fellow nominee Tyson Fury on women, homosexuality and abortion.

Greg Rutherford, Birmingham Grand Prix, February 2014

Many people will be glad that he has now reconsidered "to make my family proud and to thank them for the support in my career. I have opinions, of which I was privately clear. I DID pull out of SPOTY [Sports Personality of the Year], on Sunday I wrote to the BBC requesting removal," he said onTwitter.

"Throughout the next two days the SPOTY team asked me to stay on. Also, I realised my nomination meant so much to my family.  I then asked myself, do I really want to disappoint my own family just because of a bigot's views? The answer was no."

He is one of the nice guys of sport - always happy to chat to fans at events and sign autographs - he may not win it this year but he'll still get plenty of votes.

No comments:

Post a Comment