Wednesday 8 April 2015

Natasha Jonas announces her retirement

Natasha Jonas, the first woman to box for Great Britain at the Olympic Games, has decided to hang up her gloves.  With Rio 2016 less than 500 days away she has decided to retire and look to move into coaching.
The Liverpudlian won bronze at the 2012 World Championships and reached the 2012 Olympic quarter finals.  She only took up the sport in 2005 to lose weight and rose through the amateur ranks to compete for Britain alongside Nicola Adams and Savannah Marshall.
 
On her retirement, she said "London 2012 will never be matched, it was surreal.  I remember saying to my mum when I was 4 and watching the Olympics on TV: 'Mum, mum, I'm gonna be there.  It took me 24 years but I still achieved it."

All the best Natasha - hope the coaching goes well.


No comments:

Post a Comment