Thursday 5 June 2014

Team England confirm table tennis players for XX Commonwealth Games



Team England’s table tennis players for the Commonwealth Games have been revealed today.
Among the team of ten is double Commonwealth Games gold medallist Andrew Baggaley, world number 56 Liam Pitchford, plus London 2012 Olympians Paul and Joanna Drinkhall and Kelly Sibley. Delhi 2010 competitors Hannah Hicks, Karina Le Fevre and Daniel Reed return whilst Tin-Tin Ho and Sam Walker both make their Commonwealth debuts.


Joanna Drinkhall, the women’s national champion who won bronze in the mixed doubles event in Delhi, makes her third appearance at the Commonwealth Games.


Kelly Sibley said: “I am really happy and excited to be selected to represent Team England at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, the fact that the Games are on home soil makes it even more exciting as family and friends will be coming to watch and support us."


Men’s national champion Liam Pitchford has two medals from Delhi 2010, silver and bronze, and last month in Tokyo helped England win the Challenge Division at the World Team Table Tennis Championships. 
Paul Drinkhall said: “I am very happy to be part of Team England for the Commonwealth Games again!  “I think the team is in a great place to be fighting for medals in every event, and for me personally I am really looking forward to the whole experience and hopefully coming away with lots of medals"!

Tin-Tin Ho said: “I am so excited and overjoyed that I have been selected and have received the opportunity to represent my country in the Commonwealth Games.
“As it is my first Games, I am really looking forward to the experience, learning from all the athletes and hopefully winning a medal with the team!"

No comments:

Post a Comment