Monday 22 July 2013

HarperCollins - wanting the world, but not at a price....

I was recently intrigued to be contacted by the world-renowned publishing house that is HarperCollins. 

They were after the use of one of my local photographs for a new book publication which would be a major new history of English architecture.

The requirement specification was: "File should be 300dpi jpeg usable up to about A4 size is poss. It won't actually be used any larger than 1/4 or 1/2 page size but this gives us the potential to crop, if need be. This chapter hasn't been laid out yet so I can't confirm exact usage but the publication date is September 2013 with world all language rights, hardback and ebook editions."

Checking on what would be an appropriate price to quote for such a work (£180), I was told by them that they (one of the largest publishing house in the UK) did not have a budget for this, but could offer me a copy of the book as a 'Thank You'. 

While it might be nice to get a picture included in a book, I did not take the request any further as a book will not pay for a new lens or cover my website for another year.  I guess that it is just another example of the big boys wanting the world and not wanting to pay for it.  And yes, I will look out for the title when it comes out to see just what they did include instead.



No comments:

Post a Comment